Saturday, July 04, 2009

“My Internship with XUCLA partner NGO Kaisahan”


see other internship pics here

This summer 2009 is a great summer for me. So far, the most fulfilling summer in my life. It was a good choice to join XUCLA. I was invited by Scintillian brothers for they are already XUCLA volunteers. I was a bit hesitant to join since we are in law school already and it would entail responsibilities. But then in the spirit of volunteerism I set aside those hesitations and continued to join and go through the process of becoming a XUCLA volunteer.

I was assigned to the Non-government organization KAISAHAN. With its full name KAISAHAN tungo sa Kaunlaran ng Kanayunan at Repormang Pansakahan. An NGO concerned with the issues and concerns of farmers particularly in the high lands and mainly affected by CARP (Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Program). In my internship with KAISAHAN i was under ASDP (Area Specific Development Program). This division is the heart of KAISAHAN. It has a wide scope and a bigger responsibility and endures all the tasks the KAISAHAN had visioned itself when it started out.

The ASDP does all the community organizing of People’s Organizations. Going to barangays and communicating and integrating with the PO’s. Here in Northern Mindanao, the KAISAHAN ASDP office is in Alubijid for it is accesible to its area which is some barangays in El Salvador and Alubijid.

I am glad that I am assigned to KAISAHAN. Last sembreak, I also had my XUCLA exposure facilitated by KAISAHAN in one of its CARP cases in El Salvador where farmers were turned to scavengers because of a cancelation of their CLOA. It was a sad case. Even in their situation of scavenging, the worst thing still happened, they were told they cannot anymore sell the things they scavenged to the trucks that comes in in dump site. The (buying) trucks now are prohibited to enter the dump site and negotiate with the farmer-turned-scavengers. This particular story really strucks me up to now, even it was only my exposure to them that i had the oppurtunity to meet them and hear their stories. Because their problem up to now exist. I do pervently hope their situation would at least improve in terms of livelihood and a positive outcome of their CLOA case.

When I was assigned to KAISAHAN, i was glad because i knew already their personnels and the tasks that is expected of me—community organizing. But this time, i was hands on and not merely an expectator or observer as i was when i had my exposure.

We’ve gone to hinterland barangays in El Salvador and Alubjid to interview would be partners of KAISAHAN for its new area of 8 barangays. It has been almost 4 years since KAISAHAN started out in its area here in Northern Mindanao and it had 17 PO partners in 10 barangays.

I am a volunteer of various organizations when i was still in College. And i can say this summer experience with KAISAHAN and XUCLA is another worth keeping experience. New lessons learned and pondered on. Especially the NGO work which i can say is a heart-felt service for the marginalized sector.

This summer internship i can say had done its purpose of making me realize that aside from the mainstream lawyering which we all have thought one way or another of entering law school, there is one called alternative lawyering. I had heard of this only when we attended the Basic Orientation Seminar of XUCLA. I think it really was better to go through the internship process to really understand the concept of alternative lawyering rather than just a one seminar encounter with such.

The lessons ive learned in this summer internship is to be aware of the things that is happening around me especially those of that needed help most. To open my eyes to the realities outside the law classrooms. It was a good summerbreak and a very fulflling one too.

I would like to say thank you to my KAISAHAN homies(hehe!)—to Elgen,Ate Che,Ate Lang2x and Kuya Rey. Salamat sa inyo! My summer internship was indeed fun and educational. May our paths cross once again soon.

Let me end this reflection by saying a line from Mother Teresa of Calcutta: ” To show great love for God and our neighbor we need not do great things. It is how much love we put in the doing that makes our offering something beautiful for God.”



No comments: